Monday, May 21, 2012

MY Dirty Brompton

So I need to elaborate a bit on the trip to Portapedal Bike... the first day I was there I tried out a Brompton, it had an M-style handlebar.  I liked it, quite a bit in fact.  But as is customary for me, I slept on it (BTW their brochure is really slick!).

The next day I went back to Portapedal, mostly to check out their bags to see which would be ideal for me.  Then I saw this guy!  Stunning raw lacquer, a P-style handlebar (meant for touring and allowing for multiple hand positions), 6-gears with -12% gearing (for touring & climbing) Schmidt SON hub dynamo (for dependable lighting), mudguards & rear rack with easy wheels, the works!  This was hot! I test rode it and liked it... a lot!

And of course, I slept on it.  Ever since the first day at Portapedal this was all I could think about.

A couple of days later I called Donna at Portapedal to see I could reserve it and pick it up that weekend (Portapedal is located in Tempe, which is about a 2 hour drive from Tucson).  Lo and behold, Donna tells me that the bike sold that morning!  Bummer!  Now what?

All I could do was order my own B-spoke Brompton!  Which I guess is good, since I could also order a Brooks saddle (B17 special) and save a few bucks over buying it aftermarket.  But the wait!  Oh the agony!

So I placed the order... Donna says it should be arriving the week of June 11, 2012, then a couple days to assemble it.  I also order a C-bag to carry my stuff around and a saddlebag/cover to ninja sneak it into place where it might not be welcome.

So now all there is to do is wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment