Tuesday, June 25, 2013

BUSC 2013 On-Bike Race Footage

Here is my race footage from the 2013 Brompton US Championship.  The GoPro was mounted on the front luggage block as I've written about before here.  Enjoy!

Update:  When I posted this video earlier I had Youtube apply some sort of image stabilization.  The final result looked unnatural so I reverted it back to the original footage.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

BUSC 2013

I had a wonderful time at the Brompton US Championships today. I met a lot of wonderful people yesterday and today in Minneapolis.

Many thanks to Luke, Martha and crew at Calhoun Cycle and John, Ed and Ross from Brompton. 

I've got a lot of photos, video and race data to sort out and edit so that I can get it posted soon. 

To save you the suspense, I did not win or place on the podium. However, my friend from Tucson DID win the folding competition!

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Two weeks until BUSC!

Two weeks to go until the Brompton U.S. Championships!  I've got my outfit all ready to go, I think my gear is set, and my training is probably not where it needs to be but oh well!

If you see this guy, come say hi!
I'm interested in seeing how many riders will turn out and excited to meet more Brompton riders!

Monday, June 3, 2013

Getting the B ready for the BUSC!

I took my Brompton up to Portapedal to have Tom take a look at the brake cable issue that I've been having (where it's been knocking the chain off of the chainring when folding) and to also get it prepared to race in the Brompton U.S. Championships.

Race preparation consisted of removal of the rear rack & fender (which required an alternate mounting point for the dynamo-powered rear light) and installation of the lightweight Kojak tires (kevlar bead).  Tom handled this pretty quickly, which is something you would expect from a pro!

The brake cable issue was a little trickier to diagnose.  We kept comparing it to a similarly built new Brompton that they had in stock and really couldn't tell much of a difference.  We ended up trying to zip-tie the cables in slightly varying locations and also adding some grease to the outside of the brake cable (where it contacts the loop on the front part of the top tube) to try to get it to not catch as easy.  Seems to have worked!

The Brompton does indeed look slightly different with the rack removed and is much more difficult to move around when folded!  I've still got to take the mudflap off of the front fender!